clbanner.gif - 4Kb
Red House Home Caravan Site Home Swimming Pool and Tennis Court CL Siteplan Local Amenities
Contact Us Walking and Cycling Red House Chapel Fishing Prices and Availability

The Red House Chapel

The Chapel from the southeast

The Chapel was built by Sir Henry Slingsby in the early 17th century and was first consecrated in 1618. It is unusual in that it is one of the few college style chapels still in existence retaining many of its original features. It was built as the Slingsby family chapel at a time when it was fashionable for country houses to have their own place of worship. It also saved the 2 mile journey to the parish church of the neighbouring village of Moor Monkton. The Slingsby's were a wealthy and influential family from Scriven near Knaresborough.

Main WindowThe PulpitLead Statue
The East WindowThe Octagonal PulpitThe Lead Statue

The Chapel is open during daylight hours and visitors to the CL site are welcome to go inside.

Further information is available from the Red House History Section of this web site.


Red House Estate (Moor Monkton) Ltd, York YO26 8JQ VAT Reg No 984 6060 91