The Chapel at Red House
The Chapel was built by Sir Henry Slingsby in the early 17th century and was first consecrated in 1618. It is unusual in that it is one of the few college style chapels still in existence retaining many of its original features. It was built as the Slingsby family chapel, evidence of which is seen in the coat of arms in the stained glass window and the hatchment of Sir Charles Slingsby who drowned in the River Ouse in 1869.
The structure of the building has been altered over the centuries, the west and north walls have been rebuilt and the roof pitches have been lowered. However, the south and east wall are original and much settlement has occured over the centuries. Above the door is the brick inscription: "Pro termino vitæ, sic nos non nobis" which was originally located on the 17th century main building. Inside there is much original woodwork including the arched panelled entrance door, the poppyhead oak bench ends, panelled pews, screen to the ante-chapel and octagonal pulpit. The staircase to the first floor was moved from the main building during extensive renovation work in the mid 19th century. It is known as the staircase of friendship as, on each stair post, it has a moulded crest of a family allied to the Slingsbys. Half way up there is one of the earliest lead cast statues of a boy which probably held candles to light the stairs. It is evident that the staircase has been reduced in size as there are several crests attached separately to the wall and the stair treads have been narrowed.
The stained glass window in the east wall contains glass from the painted chamber of the 17th century main building in its higher sections whereas the 3 main lights are probably from 19th century. On the north wall of the ante chapel there is a mural depicting Moses with the the Ten Commandments and Aaron.